about the specialization
Václav Šlajch, the head of the Media Illustration studio, approaches illustration as a perfect tool for telling stories. In his classes, he leads his students to use classic methods and traditional techniques, but he also teaches them how to work with modern digital technologies. His students enter the contemporary interactive world, taking the first steps in it chiefly through illustrations for video games. They create character design, level design, layout, and UI. They also create designs for augmented reality and learn how to design interactive exhibitions. Students graduating from the studio will have skills in graphic art in the conventional sense. Additionally, they will also have good software literacy foundations. They will learn 3D modelling, the basics of animation, motion capture, and sound design. As a result, graduates can work in teams creating independent games and other interactive projects. Thanks to this progressive approach, studio graduates can easily find good jobs not only in the Czech Republic, but also abroad.
characteristics of the field and career opportunities for graduates
Teaching of the specialization Illustration and Graphic Art is carried out in respective studios according to specializations. Graduates have knowledge within the field of classic and new technical equipment and are able to use it independently or in appropriate combinations. Training obtained can be used according to individual specialization. The graduate can work as an independent creator or as a member of creative teams in graphics, advertising and DTP studios, museums, galleries and other cultural institutions, in educational institutions, public administration, business and enterprise, in web design, animation studios, as art director in a publishing company, to create E-learning, teaching aids, etc. The training can be used to address challenges in public space within exhibition and exposition projects in collaboration with architectural work. Graduates‘ knowledge and experience is evenly distributed among specialized practical skills and theoretical knowledge in the field of art culture and artistic creativity. Graduates are able to use acquired training for their own expression of a belief as well as for an original realization of assignments. Graduates of this three-year Bachelor's Degree Study Program are well-equipped for practical careers. The most talented graduates can meet the conditions for admission to continue in the Master’s Degree Study Program at the FUD, another UWB faculty or any university in the Czech Republic and abroad.
entrance examinations for the above specializations
preparation for the entrance aptitude examination
When the conditions of the admission procedure and subsequent admission to the LSFDA have been fulfilled, students who have successfully completed these courses do not have to attend the same courses again and automatically get the respective credits, subject to specified conditions set by the Higher Education Act.
final state examination
The Final State Examination (hereinafter referred to as FSE) is carried out in the form of a general discussion according to the specified topics, published on the LSFDA website − see Final State Examination, Media and Didactic Illustration, Graphic Design, Comics and Illustration for Children, Book Design and Paper Shaping, Visual Communication, Illustration Graphic Art and Painting.
Parts of the Final State Examination:
- Defense of the practical and theoretical parts of the thesis, which was submitted in advance
- Exam in the theory and history of the field (specialization)
- Exam in the History of Art
Part of the state exam is to develop and defend the final thesis, which includes a theoretical part and the student′s own work of art.
Examples of Bachelor's thesis topics
- Poetry Illustration − illustration and graphic design of a selected book of poetry; digital printing or any traditional printing techniques
- Illustrations of fairytales for children; any color technique
- Drawing in adventure literature, text rich in a dramatic storyline
- Bibliophily − any book, illustration with a cycle of graphics in some classical graphics technique
- Monthly or weekly calendar completed with variants of a literary text with illustrations, cutting sheets, coloring books or cycle of educational boards
- A set of instructional posters on the topic of a picture dictionary, pets, human anatomy, etc.
- Cycle of drawings on a literary theme
- Postage stamps – 15 designs for offset printing or gravure
- Postcards – at least 30 proposals for postcards; any traditional or innovative technologies on a given theme
- Folder for pre-schoolers inspired by poems
Each student has the opportunity to design and submit to the LSFDA Dean for approval their own individual thesis topic.